Author Topic: The Grey Album - dj Danger Mouse  (Read 8432 times)

jdubb

• Member of the Massive
  • d3 addict
  • ~bang that funky beat~
    • the rose boutique
The Grey Album - dj Danger Mouse
« on: February 16, 2004, 02:50:30 PM »
In case you haven't heard, The Grey Album is causing quite a stir at one major record label and is apparently an instant classic according to some critics.  DJ Danger Mouse took Jay-Z's Black Album and mixed it over the Beatles' famous White Album.  EMI isn't taking too kindly to this use of its precious Beatles rights.  They have sent cease and disist letters to everyone and their mothers who may have possibly had anything to do with the album or its proliferation.  They have gone as far as to order all works destroyed.  Personally, I had the opportunity to listen to the album didn't find it particularly interesting.  Maybe it was just my copy, but the levels are way too high throughout so the sound distorts.  If there is one thing I can't stand, it is someone who doesn't know how to adjust their levels so the sound doesn't distort.  Even on a great sound system it will sound horrible.  Putting aside my issues with the sound quality, Danger Mouse does some pretty effective mixing of the two dissimilar ingredients.  I like a few Jay-Z tracks, but for the most part his style sounds drab without the overproduced beats backing him up.  These are all just my opinions, so take a listen for yourself @ Illegal Art.  You can get the full album there and then come back and tell us what you think.  If want to read more about the drama unfolding, click here.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 02:52:42 PM by jdubb »
playlist:
Menno de Jong - Intuition Podcast 019
Above & Beyond - Trance Around the World Episode 279
Zoltar's Subterranean

NaTaS

• Member of the Massive
  • OG
Re:The Grey Album - dj Danger Mouse
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 11:46:32 AM »
I don't get the hype. Sounds like crap to me.

jdubb

• Member of the Massive
  • d3 addict
  • ~bang that funky beat~
    • the rose boutique
Re:The Grey Album - dj Danger Mouse
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 11:48:33 AM »
playlist:
Menno de Jong - Intuition Podcast 019
Above & Beyond - Trance Around the World Episode 279
Zoltar's Subterranean